Search engine optimization (SEO) for local businesses and Small to Medium Businesses (SMBs) has become more difficult and competitive in recent times. You need to take note of the fact that that the best practices are continuously changing.
Thus you need to be fully up to date with new features that search engines add to how they display search results for local search queries.
For local businesses and SMBs, there are generally 3 main types of local SEO strategy categories you need to concentrate on. These are as follows:
- · Optimizing local listings and citations.
- · You need to optimize your website and its content.
- · Also you must optimize and work on the acquiring links for your website.
Among these 3 main categories for local SEO, there are specific strategies that will help optimize your local presence. It is what will ultimately bring in more traffic and visibility. Let us look at some of these specific strategies in more detail:
Optimizing local listings and citations:
Let us begin with your Name Address and Phone Number (NAP) data. You first aim should be getting listed and ranked on Google Maps. You therefore need to have a legitimate business. This means that you would need a business license. That NAP needs to be consistent and listed the same everywhere. Before you get started with local listings and citations, you’ll also need the following:
- · NAP of the business
- · You need to have a Website URL which is a list of internal location pages if your business is to operate in more than one location
- · You should have a short description (up to 50 characters). This must have included your main city name and type of business.
- · Along with you should also have a longer description (up to 250 characters) that describes who you are and what you do. In this you need to include the city name and areas served if applicable.
- · Also add some recent photos of your business.
- · Identify your category of your business.
- · There is also need of identifying the relevant keywords that you would like to rank for.
These are mentions of a local business. These should include your NAP data and also include links to your website. For local Citations you could get your business listed on Google My business, Facebook, Yahoo, BingPlaces for Business, etc.
Getting listed with main data aggregates
Following local citations, the next strategy involves getting your business listed on main data aggregators. Some of the major ones are as follows:
- Infogroup: http://www.expressupdate.com/search
- Acxiom: https://mybusinesslistingmanager.myacxiom.com
- Localeze : https://www.neustarlocaleze.biz/directory/
- Factual : http://developer.factual.com/contribute-or-correct-data/
You must get your business listed on these sites. These data aggregators would collect the information listed on them and make them available for numerous websites to use them.
Apart from these you could also make use of third party citations and listings as well.
Reviews forms the key for your SEO
You must understand that getting reviews for your local business, especially on Google will help your local search rankings in a big way. With more genuine positive reviews you could also expect higher conversions. Often the prospective customers go through reviews before buying a product or availing services. This becomes all the more important in case of a local service.
So as a local business you need to encourage your satisfied customers to leave a review for your business. In fact you can even consider incentivizing the same. You could also encourage your customers to leave their feedback on relevant 3rd Party websites like TripAdvisor, Yellow pages, Yelp etc. This will help you to boost your local rankings. Reviews on social media like Facebook can also help for the same.
Optimizing your local Website’s Content
Along with other strategies for local SEO one also needs to optimize the local website strategies. These could be done in some of the following ways:
- · Optimize for “Near Me” search queries
- · Optimize for local
- · Be a local content machine
- · Buy a local website or blog
Optimizing and working on local links
As per Google’s latest algorithms more emphasis is being laid on relevant and quality links. One of the experts in the field is of the opinion that you could find easy link building opportunities by looking at your existing relationships.
One may also look at local offline groups, local volunteers and similar resources for better local link building opportunities. One may also consider sites like majestic.com to analyze the link profiles of similar business in other cities.
Additional Local SEO tips
Apart from the tips mentioned above you need to ensure the following:
ü Local Listing: Obviously the “proximity of the business” to the point of search is a key criterion. This is something which you little about, but you could all the information up to date of the local listing.
ü Audit your local citations: in terms of the NAP consistency on a regular basis to avoid any confusion
ü Add a budget for local ads: you could use Google adwords for specific locations and target customers.
ü Ensure all your Photos are tagged correctly: This is an important facyor for your local SEO
ü Add a blog: You need to write blog posts on a regular basis about local issues in order to drive in more traffic.
In conclusion we hope that the tips provided above will help you with your local SEO. We at HTSM are one of the leading SEO companies in Kolkata who offer the best local SEO services as well. To know more about our SEO service please visit our website.